The long weekend is almost here! Remember to keep your cargo safe, as it may be at greater risk of theft. A long weekend can be a prime time for opportunistic thieves to strike.
Key Points to Remember:
- Never drop a loaded trailer without dispatches approval.
- Most thefts occur when trucks are left parked on the side of the road and/or outside maintenance facilities. Truck stops are another hot theft area.
- Loaded trailers must always be secured in an approved yard.
- While on route: if you are forced to leave your truck, trailer and cargo for a brief period, make sure it is secured, parked in a well lit area and in view of cameras.
- Never leave keys in your truck.
- Always secure your trailer with your personal paddle lock and customer's seal.
- Secure your steering wheel with a locking device, kingpin locks or glad-hand locks.
- If you drop a load at a customer's location, make sure you have your Bills of Lading signed off from the authorized receiver.
- Cameras and covert tracking are good tools to assist in recoveries.
- If the location just does not feel right, do not leave the Truck, Trailer and/or Cargo unsecured. It may be gone when you come back.