Canadian insurers are sounding the alarm on increased auto thefts throughout Ontario, including Waterloo Region. Thieves have become more sophisticated and are using modern conveniences and newer technology to make it easier to steal vehicles.
A new report from the Équité Association reveals that auto theft in Ontario increased by nearly 50% between 2021 and 2022, helping account for more than $1-billion in losses. It’s the first time in Canadian history that milestone has been surpassed.
Pembridge Insurance recently shared this list of the top stolen vehicles in Ontario:
- Lexus RX Series
- Honda CRV
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Range Rover
- Range Rover Sport
- Toyota Highlander
- Ram 1500 Series
- Ford F150
- Jeep Wrangler
To help protect your vehicle and slow the rate of auto theft in Ontario, here are a few tips that you can use today:
- Park in a locked garage (if possible) – and always keep doors locked, windows up, and valuables hidden from view.
- Store your keys/fobs in a metal box or faraday pouch to help block the signal – avoid leaving your keys in your vehicle or near your home’s front entrance. Thieves can use wireless transmitters to intercept the signal, giving them access to the vehicle.
- Use a tracking device – equip your vehicle with a global positioning system (GPS) tracker as it may help in the recovery of your automobile if it’s stolen.
- Install an aftermarket immobilizing device – if your automobile is equipped with a factory-installed immobilizer, it may not be enough! Consider upgrading and have a licensed mechanic install it for you.
- Use a steering wheel lock – while useful if your vehicle is broken into, this can also act as a visible deterrent to thieves.
- Install a lock on your car’s data port – this device can be purchased online and blocks access to the computer port that thieves use to reprogram keys.
Being proactive is a great way to make your vehicle less attractive and deter thieves. With some added diligence, you can be your vehicle’s best defense against theft!
To read more about recent vehicle theft in Waterloo Region, visit: Waterloo Regional Police Issue Warning
. . .
Be Wise. Staebler Insurance is a general insurance broker specializing in auto insurance, home insurance, small business, and commercial insurance. Staebler brokers proudly serve Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Stratford, Listowel, Fergus, Elora, Wellington County, Perth County, Waterloo Region and southern Ontario. Get started with a free quote today!