WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PREVENT YOUR CAR FROM BEING STOLEN?
Police services are sharing a few tips to help deter these new types of auto thefts:
• If possible, park your vehicle in a locked garage. Most vehicles are stolen from a driveway. If you don’t have a garage, park strategically: Park the more expensive or commonly stolen vehicle in front of another one
• Keep your keys away from the doors closest to your vehicles. For added protection, consider using a faraway pouch or box that can help block the fob’s RFID signal from being relayed
• Use a steering wheel lock which will also act as a visible deterrent
• Install a lock on the data port below the dashboard. This device can be purchased online and blocks access to the computer port the thieves use to reprogram keys
• Purchase a quality video surveillance system
• Inspect your vehicle regularly and report any suspicious tracking devices
• Never leave your car running and unattended (eg. warming it up)
• Owners of a Lexus S350, Ford F150, Toyota Highlander or Honda C-RV should be ultra-vigilant
WHAT VEHICLES ARE MOST OFTEN STOLEN IN CANADA?
The Insurance Bureau of Canada recently released its annual Top 10 list of most stolen vehicles across the country. They are:
1) Ford F150 / F250 / F350 / F450 Series
2) Honda CR-V Series
3) Chevrolet / GMC Silverado / Sierra 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Series
4) Dodge / Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Series
5) Lexus RX350 / RX450 Series
6) Honda Civic Series
7) Toyota Highlander Series
8) Chrysler / Dodge Town & Country / Grand Caravan / Caravan / Voyager
9) Toyota Corolla Series
10) Honda Accord Series
Source: Insurance Business Magazine
. . .
Be Wise. Staebler Insurance is a general insurance broker specializing in auto insurance, home insurance, small business, and commercial insurance. Staebler brokers proudly serve Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Stratford, Listowel, Fergus, Elora, Wellington County, Perth County, Waterloo Region and southern Ontario. Get started with a free quote today.