As the season shifts to winter, there is a return of possible dangerous walking conditions, which increases the potential for slips, falls, and other similar incidents and injuries. Keep in mind that these hazards aren’t only for the outdoors. While frozen sidewalks and parking lots around buildings can be icy, water from melted snow can cause the potential for indoor floors to become slippery, especially around entranceways.
For property owners, it’s essential to have the tools to help your business. As such, experts recommend documenting any incident to help protect you during a potential loss, while also potentially prompting corrective changes to prevent a future event from occurring.
Properly documented incident reports can also be essential when dealing with insurance claims or liability issues. They can provide a clear account of the incident and aid in determining liability.
Not sure where to begin? A recent issue of the Ontario Broker magazine outlined what should be recorded in an incident report.
What to Include in an Incident Report Form
The following are recommended notes to be included in an incident report:
- The date, time, and location of the incident
- A detailed description of what happened
- Any resulting injuries or property damage
- If applicable, where bodily injury occurred
- The name and contact information of any injured party
- If applicable, where property damage occurred
- The name and contact information of the owner of any damaged property
- Whether emergency personnel were contacted. If so, who was contacted
- The conditions of the environment at the time where the incident took place (indoors/outdoors, weather conditions, etc.)
- If applicable, the name, address, and phone number of any witnesses
- Any corrective actions taken since the incident occurred, including implementation dates
Have questions about commercial insurance and protecting your business? Don’t hesitate to reach out to a Staebler Insurance Commercial Solutions Broker.
. . .
Staebler Insurance is a general insurance broker specializing in car insurance, home insurance, small business, and commercial insurance. Staebler brokers proudly serve Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Stratford, Listowel, Fergus, Elora, Wellington County, Perth County, Waterloo Region and southern Ontario. Get a Quote to get started today.